Saturday, March 1, 2008

When to Say When?

By Arnita Nina Kindle, AICI

Problem: Too much perfume. Your presence should not precede your entrance and remain long after your exit.

Over the weekend I was at the SaddleBrook Resort outside of Tampa, Florida as a guest of a partner of a prestigious law firm. One guest in particular stood out to me not for the fact that she accessorized her lean body with a thigh high mini dress and 4” high heel shoes or her long brownish-blond dyed hair which she proudly sashayed back and forth during the course of a dinner conversation with effortless ease. As the gentlemen who were seated at the dinner table gazed in admiration of her presence, all I could really notice was her perfume. It was more than enough to make and maintain her statement. I could not honestly understand why such an attractive person would dowse herself with so much perfume (especially for a corporate dinner). Maybe, that would certainly open the nasal passages of the 250 +/- firm attendees she reasoned. However, personally, I found it quite difficult to enjoy my meal.

So I pose this question, how much do you consider too much perfume? I spoke with a girlfriend, Michele, a banker from New York about it and she shared with me a secret while she was interviewing for a job. The interviewer stated that “they have a dress code policy which consists of little to no perfume.” Basically, because it is easy to abuse and that it affects allergy sensitivity towards co-workers and peers which have been problematic in the past.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to wearing perfume but, you have to be mindful, considerate and conscious of your audience. Maybe that was the case with the above-mentioned guest. I don’t know; share your experiences concerning this matter.

Arnita Nina Kindle is an image consultant and certified diversity professional, specializes in corporate and individual professional presence. She is available at ninakindle@yahoo.com, http://ncimage.blogspot.com and 216.390.1373.

No comments: